I. Choose the word that correctly completes the expression:
1. a jaunty _______
(a) appear (b) appearance (c) appeared (d) pear
2. a search-and- _______ operation
(a) rescue (b) run (c) save (d) hope
3. lavish _______
(a) spent (b) sent (c) spending (d) sending
4. veering toward ______
(a) a disasters (b) disasterous (c) disastrous (d) disaster
5. sifting through _________
(a) a rubble (b) rubbles (c) the rubble (d) the rubbles
6. a _______ recuperation
(a) sustain (b) sustaining (c) sustained (d) sustains
7. wrenching ______
(a) joy (b) hungered (c) hunger (d) joys
8. expedite ______
(a) decisions (b) decide (c) decided (d) decides
9. an ______ spree
(a) eats (b) eat (c) eating (d) ate
(a) one (b) zero (c) once (d) two
11. bridge ____ gap
(a) all (b) any (c) now (d) not
12. a huge recall of _______
(a) an car (b) a cars (c) cars (d) that cars
13. They went ______ hog and ordered all the trimmings.
(a) half (b) whole (c) quarter (d) no
14. His salary maxed _____ at $25,000.
(a) in (b) on (c) up (d) out
15. What are the ______ and bolts of good nutrition?
(a) nuts (b) a nuts (c) nut (d) note
16. Although they cannot search through everything, they will conduct spot ______.
(a) check (b) checked (c) checks (d) checker
17. Many people were still found to be suffering in the area that was ______ by the earthquake.
(a) ravage (b) ravaged (c) ravages (d) no ravage
18. After having worked for a whole month without a holiday, she _____ ____ a day off.
(a) fancy taking (b) fancied took (c) fancied takes (d) fancied taking
19. He spent many _____ nights worrying about his finances.
(a) sleepness (b) unsleepness (c) sleepless (d) unsleepless
20. Their plans to graduate at the end of the semester ____ amok.
(a) ran (b) runned (c) running (d) runs
II. Use each of the following words in sentences that make their meanings clear.